There was a feeling of coming full circle when we found ourselves returning to the place where it all began today. Well, the doctor’s office right next to the hospital where it all began anyway. I can’t believe it was five years ago today that we first laid eyes on our teeny tiny little 6lb 8oz baby. And it seemed fitting that five years after he first gave us a scare with his dramatic entrance into the world, Thomas would scare us again by falling out of a tree. As a side note, on Saturday night at the emergency room Kei asked Thomas how it happened. With tears in his eyes, Thomas looked at Kei and said “It was because you weren’t watching me.” Now that’s a guilt trip. Here’s the boy in his new black plaster cast. He chose the color himself although of course I fully support anything that shows less dirt. As Thomas’ turns five, it’s a good time to reflect on a few things that have changed – and some that have stayed the same – over the past year:
- Star Wars went from casual interest to full blown obsession. Star Wars lego is taking over the house and the Wii game is a regular opportunity for father/son bonding.
- Brothers became friends – and then hated each other – and then became friends again (on a daily basis).
- Thomas was in his first wedding and almost walked down the aisle on his own.
- A lot of trees were climbed – some adventures more successful than others, of course.
- We all learned how to sing “Heads, Shoulders, Knees and Toes” in Japanese, although only Thomas knows every word.
- The cobwebs finally came off the skuut. (Razor scooter still sits in the shed).
- We have apparently outgrown cutesy clothing (at least that’s what I’m told).
- We started to see a little attitude.
- Although I’m pretty sure I know where is comes from.
- Favorite foods are Rice, Natto, Nori, peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, fruit snacks and chicken tenders (the last one is influenced by cousin Cameron).
- Favorite things to watch have changed through the year but stand outs are Sid The Science Kid, Dinosaur Train and anything related to Star Wars that is NOT the movie. I am sticking to my guns on that last point, although parodies by Weird Al and Dancing Chewbacca’s on YouTube are OK.
- We spent a number of Saturdays playing Soccer AND Baseball (with lots of running)
- George is still his very best friend which proves that there’s still a baby in there – and I am holding on for dear life.
Happy birthday to our littlest Jedi. May the force be with you.